We have previously written about how the national conviction rate in rape cases is just 24%1. However crime against women is not limited to rape. Starting from dowry related harassment to domestic violence, women in India are constantly up against a deep-seated gender bias. A cursory glance at the data regarding conviction rates released by the National Crime Records Bureau for 2012 narrates a frightening story about how crime against women goes largely unpunished in Gujarat.
- Dowry Deaths – Conviction Rate is 0.0! Lowest in the country. National Average is 31.9.
- Assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty – Conviction rate is 1.6! Lowest in the country. National Average is 23.5.
- Rape – Conviction Rate is 15.3. Ranks 20th in 28 states. National Average is 23.1
- Cruelty by Husband or his relatives – Conviction rate is 3.5. Ranks 22nd in 25 states. Data Missing for 3 states. National Average is 14.8.
- Kidnapping & Abduction of Women – Conviction Rate is 6.5. Ranks 20th in 28 states. National Average is 20.4.
- Insult to the modesty of Woman – Conviction rate is 20.0. Ranks 17th in 23 states. Data Missing for 5 states. National Average is 36.9.
For every type crime against women, Gujarat’s conviction rate is way below the already low national conviction rate. Gujarat even though considered generally safe for women has a fair share of crime against women.
- Cruelty by Husband or his relatives – 6658 cases – Ranks 6th in 28 states.
- Kidnapping & Abduction of Women – 1527 cases – Ranks 8th in 28 states.
- Insult to the modesty of Woman – 93 cases – Ranks 13th in 28 states
- Assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty –745 cases – Ranks 14th in 28 states.
- Dowry Deaths – 21 cases – Ranks 20th in 28 states.
- Rape – 473 cases – Ranks 19th in 28 states.
So while crime is on the rise every year, the conviction rate remains alarmingly low. Also the conviction rate usually depends on the thoroughness of the police investigation and such a low rate raises the question whether the Home Ministry in Modi’s government is doing it’s job or not.